Happy New Year! 2021 is here and we are excited for a fresh start. Read on for the latest updates and changes for the coming month.
- Starting Monday, we are returning to regular Class format with Low Intensity exercises.
- We have outfitted the gym with CO2 level monitors as there is increased evidence that it strongly correlates with airborne spread of infection.
- We have ordered Squat Racks for middle spots.
Latest on PHO restrictions
On Jan 7, PHO has extended the latest restrictions order, containing suspension of all high-intensity group activity until at least Feb 5.
We know that the restrictions are very confusing and many gyms have varied interpretation of what is acceptable and what isn’t. Our main priority is the safety and well-being of our community and our approach is to follow the intent of the Health Order. Here are the relevant excerpts of key points that are guiding our approach:
“There is no evidence-based consensus on what differentiates high intensity vs. low intensity group exercise, especially as it relates to the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
Separating out activities into specific categories of risk is also challenging because an activity that may be “high intensity” for one individual may be considered “low intensity” for another, depending on their physical fitness.
For the purposes of these guidelines, exercise that generally results in significantly increased respiration rates is considered high intensity, while exercise that does not result in significantly increased respiration rates is considered low intensity. “
If you are interested in the full details, here it the link to the latest order: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions#athletics
Our Approach and Changes
Over the course of the holidays we have continued to seek clarifications from the Health Authorities and worked with the CF community to optimize our approach. As a result here are some immediate changes that will take effect on Mon, Jan 11:
- Programming will remain Low-Intensity and will continue to be designed to keep respiratory rate low.
- Returning to regular coach-led class format. While you may continue to choose to do your own workouts during classes, our coaches will lead the classes as we normally do.
- Open Gym slots will be back as regular Open Gym, i.e. not coach led. These will be back to traditional work on your own slots in the schedule.
- Kipping gymnastics will be programmed in during skill / strength segments.
- We are working on optional Running workouts as outdoor activity is acceptable. This will be weather dependent.
- High-intensity movements and Metcons remain off-limits at all times, except in 1-1 personal training sessions.
Equipment and Programming
We are going to continue with our strength and gymnastics cycle for the next 4 weeks. We have seen some very impressive PRs in the last round!
We have also ordered some freestanding squat racks for the middle section.
Of course, we miss our regular WODs and Partner Days and as soon as it’s safe and possible we’ll be back stronger and more ready than ever.
Additional safety measures
There is increasing that carbon dioxide levels in buildings correlate strongly with the airborne spread of infection. Consequently, CO2 monitors could act as the “canary in the coalmine” to mitigate the coronavirus threat.
This is especially true for indoor fitness facilities where increased exertion results in higher levels of CO2.
Last week we have outfitted the gym with multiple CO2 monitors and we are very happy to report that our levels are far below all recommendations.
Going forward our coaches will continue to monitor CO2 during classes and open doors / windows as required to improve ventilation.
Safety Guidelines Reminder
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home
- If you are living with someone or have come in contact with anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19 or waiting on test results, please rebook
- Self-quarantine if you have been outside of Canada in the last 14 days
- Please re-book have recently travelled to the extent that health authorities require self-isolation